Friday, September 14, 2007

Week 10/Play Week 2/Lesson #21: Mashup Editors

Discovery Exercise #1:
Let's study some extended uses of Mashups: Go to Mashable.com and discover the 11 crazy ways to browse Flickr photos.

Through other learning 2.0 Discovery Exercises, I am now familiar with several of the 11 crazy ways to browse Flickr photos. As for the new ones...

Depictr: I love music, so I should love this. Plus, I am a lyrics person, which is probably the fault of the Literature major in me. I tried the opening lines from Snow Patrol's Hands Open. The result was suprisingly tame, considering that Depictr searched the words/tags grave, digging, and tongue.

Flickr Combat was cute...if you used cats or dogs.

Flickr Numbers: I get to see interesting photos, randomly, without having to think...I like!



Exercise #2:1:
Go to Mashup Awards' website and explore the many mashups created by different mashup editors.

The Mashup of the Month Award for September goes to....

LazyLibrary!

Well, that's great. Apparently, LazyLibrary will allow you to "find books on any topic without having to worry about high page counts." According to MashupAwards, LazyLibrary allows you to search for books with 200 or less pages by pulling in book data from Amazon and filtering out any book with more than 200 pages.

Hmm....I want to believe that this is a good thing. So, I said to myself, "Self, can you think of a good, solid educational use for this mashup?" After I chastised myself for talking to myself (again), I thought about a specific assignment, one that we often get questions about at my public service desk. As a class requirement, students in a certain class are required to read several books from several genres. Often, they want "shorter" books because of time contraints. I guess this mashup could help those students find books that fit the genre requirement of the class while also working within time constraints. Of course, they would still need to search for those books in our library...

I also checked out Oakland Crimespotting, an interactive map of crimes in Oakland, California, that also includes the date, time, and type of crime reported. You can also subscribe to an RSS feed for a location to receive alerts about crimes in a chosen area. MashupAwards points out how this mashup takes your local neighborhood watch to a whole new level, but I think that instructors and students in the Criminal Justice program, Police Studies program, and other such programs might find such a mashup interesting.

2. Now it's your turn! Try create your own Mashups by using the Mashup editors.

I'll give it a go, but I don't think I will be blogging about it or linking to it!

No comments: